Rust prevention, seat height, heat sheild

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rust prevention, seat height, heat sheild
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:31:40 -0500
Greetings once again;

I'm having new floors put in the Spit in a couple weeks, and want to protect
them from future rust.  Obviously, I need to do both sides.  What methods &
products have been used successfully?  I've seen POR15 mentioned, but am not
familiar with it.  Does it require bare metal, or can it be put over the
primer that is on the floors now?  I've also considered a thorough coat of
Rustoleum primer and top coat.  Eventually I will strip the body and have
the local shop do their zinc alloy metal spray operation.  But for now
what's the best option?

I'm also wondering if anyone has ever tried to lower the seat height in a
Spit.  I'm about 6-4, and if I sit up straight I'm looking right "through"
the windshield frame.  My head also makes an interesting bulge when the top
is up.  I can slouch enough to drive OK, but would like to see if I can drop
the seat.  I realize there isn't much room under there, and have thought
about cutting some of the foam out.  I'm going to be re-doing the stock
seats in the next month or two.  Any experiences out there?

Last is carburation.  I remember a thread about heat shields, but can't
locate the messages in my archives.  Should a '74 have a shield between the
carb and the exhaust?  I have a 4-1 header on the car, and the stock Zenith.
The interior condition of the carb is unknown, but it does run OK except
when left idling for extended periods like stop lights and the McDonalds
drive through at lunch time.  Then it gradually slows, gets rough, and
eventually dies.  Once it comes off idle again it runs OK until the next
long stop.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued help.  Eventually I hope to
answer more questions than I ask.

Gorgeous day here in MN.  Been driving once, time to go do it some more.

Bill G
'74 Spit