hs4 question

To: "Spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: hs4 question
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 22:15:32 -0400
Since my spit decided to die last night at about midnight before the morning
autox, relegating me to driving a crx si for the day, I have time to ask
about the setup for HS4's on a 1500 spit.  Specifically, I have problems
with the mixture.  I set up the carbs using the "lifting pin and follow the
rpm" tricks and both carbs just slightly jump up and back down again at the
same rate and duration in rpm--exactly as most directions I have found would
suggest as proper.  But, the problem is that when I cup my hand over one of
the carb inlets, there is a difference.  Block off the front carb and the
engine continues along with out problem.  As soon as I cover the back carb,
the engine quickly stalls.  So what is the deal here?

jim