Re: Wiring/solenoid/starting problems

To: "Nicholas S Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: Wiring/solenoid/starting problems
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 21:12:33 -0400
At 03:19 PM 05/13/00 -0700, Nick Moseley wrote:

>  I just insured my 78 for the summer,
>and now its punishing me for ignoring it all winter.

<whispers so his own car won't hear>
You shouldn't personify your car like that, it's only an inanimate
collection of nuts and bolts!

>Background: The car was parked in the winter, but it started up fine and
>drove home. A week later, after insuring for the summer, at first it
>wouldn;t start. The starter turned the engine, but no spark. I wiggled
>wires, (to coil and solendoid) and then it was fine.
>Now, when turning the key, the ignition and oil lights come on, but when I
>turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. The starter does not
>turn the engine, and the solenoid does not click.
>I have changed the solenoid to a known good one, but still no joy.

Is there a good ground to the soleniod?  I always incorporate a star washer
under at least one of the mounting bolts.

>Of the wires to the solenoid, the forward one with two wires, white red and
>white orange,has 12 volts all the time, regardless of the key position. The
>rear wires, white red and plain white, has nothing with the key off, and
>about 8 volts when the key is in the on or start position.

Ah, but what does the big wire to the starter have on it for voltage? I
have seen connections less than one flat of the nut result in a no-start
condition.

The solenoids can get old, and not pass enough current for the starter in
the car.  Even a "known good" one that worked in one car may not work in yours.

>Plaintive cry: can anyone please help, it finally stopped raining in
>Vancouver, and my Spit won't run!

Boy we really get emotional about the state of our cars, don't we?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness."