Re: Keys...

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Keys...
From: R A Woodward <r.woodward@home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 19:32:50 -0500

"T. .R. Dafforn" wrote:

> I can do that, buit what about getting the actual lock mechanism out of the
>lock mechanism, so that you can change it to allow another key?
> Cheers

Unless it's rusted in place, you should be able to easily push the
mechanism out of the cylinder once the screw is removed. It's been a
while since I did this, but I recall it was way easier than I
anticipated.

In my case, the locksmith was able to create a key rather than replace
the mechanism. He used a generic MG blank, which he had to shorten by
about 1/2 inch. Of course the guy is about 75 years old, and pretty much
an artist when it comes to locks an keys. You won't get it done at
Wal-Mart. Still, I got two copies of my ignition key and three boot lid
keys made from scratch for about 15 bucks.