Re: Spitfire chassis numbers

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire chassis numbers
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 07:54:38 -0700
I'll be sure to take my letters from Anders providing all the details I
reference with me to the Triumphest gathering in San Diego and
show them to Mr. Robson.  He is scheduled to be there along with Kas Kastner as
guests of the event.  Perhaps we can compare notes.

In putting together the Spitfire database, I have had occasion to ask Herr
Clausager several questions regarding oddities that I have
found in the various Spitfire models and he has provided me with much data
regarding them.  He does, however indicate that the data is
far from complete is certain areas.

While, I don't recall exactly what the issue was back then (getting a bit long
in the tooth), but as I recall, The name of the person
whose data was mentioned was not given, so my comments were not meant to cast
aspersions on anyone's character, just the source of his
data.  If our sources are the same person, I wonder how accurate it really is.
However, it seems to me that whatever it was that was
in question was so far different from my own data that it could possible have
been someone's misinterpretation or a typographical error
that led to the difference.

At any rate, I'd love to have the opportunity to compare notes to see where the
differences are and perhaps even call Anders into the
fray as a "Referree"!  :)

Regards,
Joe

P.S. The data that I have received from Anders was during February through
April 1998.   And I did notice that in those exchanges, some
of the data was updated from one letter to the next.  Therefore, it appears
that the data appears to be a "Work in Progress" and will
vary as more information is accumulated by Anders.

I might add that I have also found that you cannot fully trust everything that
ANders tells you.  A case in point:  He said that in the
later (VIN numbered) Spitfire models the digit before the last "T" will always
be "A" (meaning 1980) and a number 9 does not exist.  On
the contrary, I have registered several cars in the Spitfire database that do
indeed have the number 9 in that position.

If you still have details of the original information that I questioned, I
would like you to pass it along so I can have it for
reference in case this thing continues!