Oil filters

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filters
From: JeffreyLos@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:20:37 EDT
Oh wise listers:
I have a Unipart GFE 150 oil filter on my 72 Spit that I want to replace with
what I hope is a higher quality filter such as Puralator Pure One or similar
filter that prevents oil from draining back into the block when the engine is
off. The 1300 cc block was replaced during a rebuild by the PO by a 1500cc
block. For whatever reason, the bolt for the brace that is near the engine
mount (which I guess also supports the bracket for the alternator) protrudes
enough that the replacement filter (Purolator, Fram, K&N, etc.) will not fit.
The filter diameter is simply too large. Also, of course, an adapter is
needed to thread on the 3/4 " thread of a standard filter vs. the 1/2" thread
into the block. I can get an adapter with no problem. My question is this.
Can I use another similar filter that is a smaller diameter (around 3") as
long as it seals tight to the block? The filter I have in mind appears to
have about the same volume as the recommended filters. Is there anything
special about one filter vs another that I should be concerned about? Thought
I might as well ask before I go to the trouble of buying the adapter and the
filter. I could always just buy another Unipart GFE 150 which already has the
1/2" thread and is one of the "approved" filters for a Spitfire, but doesn't
filter the oil as well or have the anti-drainback feature. What do you think?
Thanks.
Jeff Los
Portland, Oregon