oilfilters

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: oilfilters
From: Quirk <quirk@telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:22:03 -0600
I am in the process of evaluating filters for my Spit and have observed
something I would like to share with you.  Sometime back there was a
thread on the merit of filters that seemed to deal with which filters
had the better filter media, anti drain back valves and capacity
(size).  The Fram PH16 was often mentioned and because I use those on my
Dodge Caravan 3.0L V6 I had one handy to check out. I also had a number
of other filters I purchased by the case back in the early 80's.  Of
particular interest was a Fram PH2869 of European origin.  This was the
Fram recommended for the Spitfire back in 1985 when I purchased a case.
Of particular interest was that it not only has an anti drain back valve
but that the center tube is not perforated but is solid tube that ends
about 1/4 inch from the filter bottom.  Since I had just removed a
PH2869 from the engine and inverted it in a drain funnel prior to taking
it to the ecco center for disposal I decided to take a look and see how
the draining was going on.  Looking up into the filter while inverted
shows the center tube completely empty but, inverting the filter with
the hole facing upwards a behold oil appears and its level equalizes
with the filter being at least 80% still filled with oil.

Perhaps, the most important characteristic after fit when choosing a
Spitfire
filter is that it not only contains a good antidrain back valve but that
the
center tube must be non perforated and constructed in a manner that it
only
allows flow out of the filter through a space of about 1/4 inch from the
bottom
of the filter.

Larry (Spitman) Quirk