Re: Testing solenoid..

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Testing solenoid..
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:58:59 -0400
At 11:02 AM 5/30/00 +0100, T. .R. Dafforn wrote:

>It just shows that you shouldn't leave your spit alone or the Lucas
>gremlins will attack it
>Turned the ignition key to start the spit ready for a nice ride in the
>sun and the starter turned a few times, the engine fired, and then died.
>managed to get the car started by using a screwdriver shaft as an
>impromptu solenoid!
>So how do I check whether the solenoid is opperating correctly?

Tim,

   Check out the article "Electrical Primer - Part 3 - The Starting System"
http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art026.html

This will give you a good understanding of the system.

I don't know what spit you have.  But on the 1500 Spit, there is a small
connector that plugs into the front (facing the eng) of the starter solenoid.
This is the ignintion switch feed.  You can remove this connector and place
one on the remote hand held starter switches when you are working of the
engine.

Hope this helps.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan