Need a GT6 rear hatch spring

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Need a GT6 rear hatch spring
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:26:47 -0700
Just went out the GT6 to stick something in the back (took it to work
today), and discovered that the darn rear hatch seemed awfully heavy and
wouldn't stay in its fully upright and locked position.  Upon closer
examination (at lunch) it has been determined that the spring that pushes
against the left hand hinge (USA drivers side) had snapped in two.  This
determination was made by the offending piece falling on my forehead as the
spring cover was removed!  It's broken at the end, right where it bends 90
degrees (where the roller is attached) to apply pressure to the hinge.
Now these are probably rarer than the front bumper or vent window seals.  I
haven't been able to locate any so does anybody have a "spare" one that
they would be willing to sell or alternatively, I'm wondering whether or
not I could weld it back together.  It would of course remove the temper
(in the heated area) but it's in a place where it might not matter all that
much since its not twisting very much (or shouldn't be) if at all in this
area- and if I weld it quickly, it might not be over a long enough area to
matter much - Any thoughts on this (foolish?) idea?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)