diagnosis: throw out bearing?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: diagnosis: throw out bearing?
From: "Dan Crone" <croned@gemair.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:27:01 -0400
1975 Spitfire 1500.
With the engine off, I can easily row through the gears.
With the engine running, clutch depressed, I can't put the car into any
gear.
With the engine off, I put the car in 1st gear, and start the car. I can
tell the clutch is not fully disengaged as blipping the throttle will result
in very slight forward motion.
I can double-clutch and "get on down the road".  If I were better at
double-clutching, I might drive it like this the whole season.
Depressing the clutch seems to help get into neutral, but doesn't help
shifting into gears.

History: Some noise last year when the clutch pedal was fully depressed,
which would disappear if I'd let the clutch pedal up about 1/2 inch off the
floor.  Clutch hydraulic system died in November, and car was garaged until
summer. Clutch master and slave cylinders replaced last month.  Everything
was fine for about 30 days and now this problem developed over a 2 day
period.  It hasn't healed itself yet.  Clutch;pressure plates;throwout
bearing was replaced 3 years ago.

P.S.  When I'm underneath the car I have a large steel cable 1/2" in
diameter with an adjustment in the middle that seems to have something to do
with the transmission/engine alignment. What is this thing?  I can't find it
in my shop manual.