Re: Spring Swing / Camber Compensator

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com
Subject: Re: Spring Swing / Camber Compensator
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:52:27 -0400
Fred Puhn's book, "How to Make Your Car Handle" is probably one of the best
basic and slightly advanced books on suspensions ever published.  It covers a
great deal, very clearly, starting with the absolute basics, and working its
way up through some of the more complex subjects.  He does cover swing axle
suspensions, their geometry, camber compensators, z-bars, and anti-roll bars.
Even if you plan on never doing a thing to your car, it's an excellent book to
read.

You'll even learn about ducting your cooling system to compensate for the air
consumed by a frog.

>>> Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com> 06/13 12:48 PM >>>

Blimey...  I'm starting to feel sorry I ever asked this question!!

Since Joe actually supplies these things himself, I find it hard to believe
 that he wouldn't have a full understanding of how it works.  Since others
 disagree so determinedly on how it works, I'm starting to wonder...

Are there perhaps more than one sort of camber compensator out there?  The
 Nolan Penney-supported variety, that acts to push one wheel down as the other
 goes up (somewhat similar to a Z-bar action), and the Joe Curry-supported
 variety, which acts to move both wheels in the same direction (somewhat
 similar to an anti-roll bar action).  Or is this a horrible
 over-simplification?  I won't even ask which set-up is better...

Are there any diagrams out there on web sites that we can take a look at, to
 understand the geometry better?  Would someone like to post one?

Richard and Daffy (no suspension mods, nor are there ever likely to be...)