Re: Stuck no more -- DONE - thank YOU!

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Stuck no more -- DONE - thank YOU!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:11:15 -0700
Thanks once again to all who lent a hand today.  As it turns out, the
easiest  way to remove the old seal was to simply reverse the "jaws" of the
puller, shove 'em in there good and tighten down on the puller bolt head.
It took several turns, but the entire old pinion seal came out, unbent,
intact and in perfect shape (other than the fact that it leaks!).

This turned out to be an all-day project for me, but I've finished it,
topped up the rear end, spilled a pint or more of that smelly gear oil on
the floor of the garage and lowered the car back down.  I won't know if I've
successfully stopped the leak until I take the car for a drive and clean up
the mess in the garage, but I think that things went exceptionally well.
Thanks to all who gave me some great advice for this project, which I'll be
documenting on my website shortly.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!