Swingspring fix? sort of long

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Swingspring fix? sort of long
From: FODFARTS@cs.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:40:56 EDT
This subject seems to elicit quite strong opinions from the list and I'm not
sure why, but here goes.
    I have a 64 Spitfire with a completely stock rear suspension, yes the
dreaded swing axles are still in place with no camber compensator. I
autocross the car fairly often and drive it briskly on empty country roads
quite often, nothing stupid mind you, just briskly.
The question I have for the list is this: what's so horrible about my swing
axles? I have never had a problem with severe oversteer or wheel tuck. Even
on a fast tight slalom on the autocross course. I have had the inside rear
wheel lift on occasion but nothing drastic has ever resulted. I find that the
rear end will slide when pushed very hard but it is predictable and easily
controlled, so much so that I will invoke a slight drift on course for fun.
    While reading other members' posts on this subject I thought of a
possible solution. Actually, I saw it on the underside of my MGB-GT. The rear
axle of my MG is a solid live axle held in location by leaf springs. But it
also has a couple of rubber straps that limit it's vertical travel. I assume
this is to keep the universal joint from seeing too much angle but I'm not
sure. My point is this: if wheel tuck on a Spit is dangerous, then why not
install a similar device on the outboard end of each swing axle. This would
keep the wheel from drooping and causing any trouble. I may be way off base
here but it seems like a simple idea to me. Of course, all comments are
welcomed, except maybe snide remarks about my MG ownership. If I hadn't
bought the MGB-GT I would never have met the PO of my Spitfire. See, MGs are
good for something. Plus, I love the overdrive in mine. By the way, has
anyone ever heard of a person installing a GT-6 engine in a MGB-GT? That
would make the car even better, in my opinion as crazy as it may be.

                                                        Triumphantly yours,
                                                                Brad