Wiper Upgrade

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper Upgrade
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:46:41 -0700 (PDT)
SpitListers,
I had to replace the wipers on my 1980 1500. Checked
in the archives, then armed with one of the old
blades, went to my autoparts store.
Looked up a Spitfire, 11" blades, cool. But only 1 in
stock, bummer.
Compared it to what came off the car; new one is 2"
shorter! WTH? Compared it to the (plentiful) 13"
blades, same size. DPO!
Well, what the heck, I went with the 13"'s. Installed
them on the car, tried them out, they fit!
By that I mean, no interference, no hitting the
windshield frame. Of course, the passenger side where
the curve of the WS is extreme, the tip lifts off. But
the driver side was very well covered. More glass area
swept clean means better vision in the rain, right?

Maybe the DPO was not so D.

So, *next* time, I will buy one 11" for the passenger
side, and one 13" for the driver side. Heck, maybe
I'll just return one 13" for exchange.

(if this seems odd, consider that my '93 Ford Escort
Wagon takes *3* different sizes, left right, and rear)

BTW, part # are:
Tridon 83P-13B
Tridon 83P-11B

If you do this, be aware that the mount for the actual
wiper assy to the clip that goes onto the arm is not
in the middle, it's offset maybe 1/2". So depending on
which direction you snap it in, the length of sweep of
the tip will be 1" longer or shorter. I installed mine
to be shorter, it clears the top WS rubber by maybe
3/8".

Good luck.

Carter

http://mail.yahoo.com/