Re: Rear valence trim cap

To: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Re: Rear valence trim cap
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:46:06 -0700
Upon further reflection, I recall that my sister (the original owner of my
original '67 Mk3 many years ago) had some rear valance area repairs done
after being hit from behind.  That could explain why my first Mk3 didn't
have them.  As for the present car, you could very well be right about them
rusting off.

I'll most certainly pick up a set from Spitbits.  Sounds like a very nice
finishing touch.

I found your side note comments most interesting.  Especially the passenger
footwells comment.  That side was the very worst spot for rust damage on my
car, but it's RHD so it was actually on MY driver's side.  Why the right
side of the car versus the left?  Snow plows push to the right and there's
more salt being kicked up on the right side, or what?  As for the sills,
I've inspected them carefully.  The inner sills are solid and in great
shape.  The P.O. fashioned galvanized steel outer sills (he worked in the
machine shop for GM) and pop rivited them on about ten years ago.  They
actually look great (except for where you can see the pop rivets under the
bondo), but unfortunately, he left the original rotting outer sills in place
and just covered them over with the new sheetmetal.  My restoration is going
to include replacing both floor panels and outer sills with proper
replacements panels, and perhaps the sill strengtheners if needed.  While
I'm at it, I'm also going to replace the rear wings, or at least the lower
portions, which are exhibiting rust and have been previously repaired with
fiberglass.  I've also all but decided that it will be cheaper and make more
sense for the long haul to purchase an entirely new bonnet assembly rather
than have the original reworked.

As the finishing touch I'm going to have all the bumpers triple plated and
re-chromed.  By this time next year, Mrs. Jones is going to running and
looking like a brand new car.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!