Dash lights dimmer

To: Spitfires List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dash lights dimmer
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:09:25 -0500
Hello everyone,

The dash lights dimmer on my '78 is on the fritz. Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Its first symptom was a reluctance to bring the dash lights up to full
brightness. After a while they went out altogether. With the dash lights
dead (but the headlights on), if the knob is turned up, the unit becomes
incredibly hot, presumably because it is not passing any of the current it
should. It stays cool if I keep it turned all the way down, as if I were
dimming the lights completely.

My current solution is to simply drive at night without dash lights, which
isn't so bad, but certainly not preferable. All exterior lights work fine.
This way the dimmer unit stays cool to the touch.

My question is, what if I were to simply bypass this dimmer switch? The
truth is, I never use it to dim the dash lights; I prefer them at maximum
brightness all the time. Can I bypass the switch safely? How would I do
this? I have three wires going into it. (Perhaps there should be four wires
going into it... there are four connectors. ?)

Thanks for any help,
Eric.