RE: RE: South African Triumph adventures

To: "'Laura.G@141.com'" <Laura.G@141.com>
Subject: RE: RE: South African Triumph adventures
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:47:23 +0200
Laura

In South Africa vehicles have to pass very strict tests upon registration
for road use . Thereafter none unless sold and then the new owner must do
the same . Traffic police can also pull you over and fine you for minor
defects . If they feel that your vehicle is not roadworthy they can impound
it and do tests at your expense .

They also frequently set up road blocks , where they ( usually police ,
traffic police and army ) stop and check all vehicles for road worthiness ,
drugs , illegal firearms etc.

All the above seem not to limit the number of death trap taxi's on our roads
. From what I've read and heard these so-called taxi's contribute to more
than 50 % of accidents on South African roads . I really hate them . If you
ever come to South Africa you will understand why .

As to my wife and laughing . Yes , I did laugh , but loudly and afterwards
she made me buy her a cell / mobile phone so she can feel more secure . It
was worth the chuckle  :-)

Kind regards .

Chris de Wet
P O Box 472 , Ifafi  , 0260  ,  South Africa  .
Telephone 012 - 3398042 ( office ) 012 - 2591129 ( home ) Cell 0828406535
Fax 012 - 3398118
One '56 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .