Re: Dangerous steering condition

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dangerous steering condition
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:22:36 EDT
It's been a while since I've done this, so I hope I get this right...

First of all, you need to completely pull out the bolt that holds the
coupling - just loosening it is not sufficient.  I believe that if you
remove the thingy that allows the steering column to telescope, near the
bulkheading in the drivers footwell, the steering column can then be pulled
back.  Depending on what model you have, you may need to loosen some of the
brackets holding the column or remove the nacelles.  Then you can easily
remove the coupling.  I always centered the steering wheel before
disassembly and then recentered it on re-assembly and never had a problem
with it being off center.  While you have the coupling out, dismantle it and
get some replacement washers from your local hardware store - worn rubber
may be part of your problem as well as loose bolts.  ISTR that mine had a
retaining wire that passed through them to prevent working loose.

Good luck

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire