Re: messy startup - need advice

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: messy startup - need advice
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:59:10 -0400
Dieseling (Running on) is usually caused by carbon deposits in the cylinder
and on top of the piston which get so hot while the engine is running that
they can ignite leftover fuel in the combustion chamber.  The quick fix for
this is to decarbonise your cylinder head... There are a few ways to do
this, and one of them is very strange.

1. Remove the head and take the carbon off yourself or have it
professionally cleaned.

2. Buy a can of combustion cleaner (Note that on sidedraft carbs it really
needs to be a spray can, since you can't pour it into the carb throat!) and
run it into the intake while working the throttle to keep it from stalling.
This makes a lot of wonderful smoke.  Irritate your neighbours!

3. WATER!  If you have a vacuum line (I don't on my spit), you can tee into
it, and put the new end into a jar of water.  The water gets drawn into the
intake and (I don't know how) removes every bit of crap in the combustion
chamber.  It's really amazing how well this works... The only problem is
thta it takes a long drive, and like a litre of water, to do this, plus you
have to be able to meter the water, so the engine will still run.

THEN, of course, fix whatever it is (usually timing or mixture) that is
causing the deposits in the first place!

Luke