Re: Tachometer sticks

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tachometer sticks
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:13:32 -0500

Jeff Gruber wrote:

> My tachometer won't go past 3200 rpm and it seems to stick
> there when the engine goes below 3200.
>
> Any suggestions?

I too have a "sticky" tach, although its behavior is different from yours,
Jeff.

My tach does not show anything when the car is first started up. It takes
maybe 3 or 4 seconds before the needle jumps into action, and from then on
it works fine. Seems like an electrical problem... as if my tach just isn't
getting any "juice" until a few moments pass after startup. But why then
would it work fine after that? This behavior is not periodic; it always
happens.

On Jeff's problem, it sounds to me like his tach might literally be
sticking, perhaps rubbing against something (tiny speck of dirt, who knows)
which catches the needle around where it points to 3200 RPM.

Eric.
'78 1500, Chicago