An end to the cooling saga

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: An end to the cooling saga
From: "Mike Perry" <mikep@michindust.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:50:28 -0400
In case it might benefit some others on the list...

I had problems with my 72 (in traffic particularly) running hot.  To correct
this malady, I corrected (in order):

Flush (no effect)
Water wetter (slight effect, just enough to delay the onset of the high
temps)
Larger radiator (from a different year spit...9" wider) cooled faster after
running up
Replace semi collapsed front air deflectors (big improvement)
Radiator Cap (concurrently with the deflectors)

The last two must have been where the most significant change occurred, as
now it takes second rather than minutes for my temperature to fall if it had
run up.  It also doesn't get as high.

The total cost of this project was probably in the area of $260.  It is much
more enjoyable to drive the spit without having to keep one eye on the temp
gauge.  Thanks much to the list for the help in answers to my questions and
for other stuff I picked up while lurking.

Mike Perry
72 Spit with bits and pieces of quite a few other years.