Re: Expected fuel Mileage for 1500

To: susan risser <destaff@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Expected fuel Mileage for 1500
From: Alan Lemen <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 21:42:52 -0700
Sorry I did not answer earlier as I have not filled up much and had to
wait until last night and thought I'd better answer as I saw no one else
had.

Just put in 5.9 gal for 145 miles most of which was running badly (3
cylinders at one point as well). Car is stock 76 federal (non cat, 9:1
compression).

So I reckon 2/3 of that was not good milage and could have been a lot
better. So I got the same as you (25mpg). Hardly any town traffic in
this though, mostly over longer 25 mile or so runs. Last couple of miles
with new coil and ignition system (Pertronix) as the old Allison was
overheating and not running smoothly. I hope to get a lot better with
the next tankful. Still got to check the mixture with the new ignition.
I'm also planning on twin SU as well. I'm picking up a used pair of HS4
in the UK  next month and rebuilding. Plus a sports exhaust and header.
Will be interesting to compare results for both cars after the changes.

Alan
'76 Spitfire