removing differential: update

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: removing differential: update
From: "Huw Upshall" <hupshall@triumphcars.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:31:25 -0700
Thanks for the replies, with a crowbar I got the old diff out.  Now, to my
next problem.

The replacement differential has been installed and bolted on, I now have a
problem attaching the spring.

The problem is:

The four long studs that go from the top of the differential, through the
spring cap to nyloc nuts on the top - I can't get these to screw into the
differential.  I have the spring located on the top of the differential, the
notch is lined up and the spring locks into the differential.  The holes in
the top of the cap are lined up (kinda) because a thin screwdriver can go
all the way through the spring and into the differential.  The studs,
however, are not screwing in.  This is annoying.  I was thinking of tapering
the end of the studs a little so they were cone shaped.  This will probably
help in centering the stud in the hole and will allow me to screw the sucker
in.  Ideas?  Is there a trick that I am missing?

 Huw Upshall                      Email:       hupshall@triumphcars.com

                                  http:        www.wolfenet.com/~hupshall
                                               www.triumphcars.com

 'Misspelled?  Impossible!  My modem is Error-Correcting!'