Spit Sag Question: NOT rear spring!

To: "spitfirest@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit Sag Question: NOT rear spring!
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:01:11 -0400
Folks,

My son's 80 Spit has a distinct lean to the left at the rear ... and I
assumed we needed a new rear spring:  having taken one from our parts car,
and put in on the car over the weekend>  Still sags (but the parts car
didn't!).

HINDSIGHT:  I should have put axle stands under the front of the car to
check whether the front suspension was the problem! With the stands in
place, the back is level!!

QUESTION:  Any advise on what to look at the front of the car that might be
causing the passenger side appear very high compared with the drivers
side.  I noticed references to an aluminium packing piece in todays digest:
we don't seem to have any packing pieces on either side!!

Any help, and any typical dimensions, will be gratefully received!

Tony

ps - discovered a trick when installing the rear spring - well: a trick for
me - for making it easier to put insert the 4 diff studs -- before
installing the spring from outside, put 2 of the studs in place first: this
stopped the lower plate moving around so the studs could more easily be
located -- the darned thing kept moving so much in attempt 1 that we
couldn't  install the studs at all!