Re: Crankcase pressure in 72 spit

To: frandrum@voicenet.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankcase pressure in 72 spit
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:54:28 -0400
On my '72 at least, the carb is supposed to suck in the fumes
from the valve cover as well as suck air from the carbon canister.
If there is too much gas being blown out of the valve cover, it will back up
into the carbon canister and eventually ruin it.

(This is a lousy design, BTW.  Maybe there should be a check valve in
the hose to the canister to prevent the back flow.)

Maybe your carb is not sucking properly, or maybe it is not
hooked up at all.  In this case, replacing the canister
will simply cause the new one to get ruined, too.
If you have no way to hook up a proper suction connection,
I would simply leave the valve cover vent open to the air.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit