Re: Slipping O/D

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slipping O/D
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:02:19 +0100

Guys,

Thanks for the advice.  I should have clarified in the original e-mail - I know
for a fact that this is the inhibitor switch which is causing a problem, because
I have put the car in 4th gear, and put an ohm-meter across the switch, and
found it to be open-circuit.

Dan Buettner suggested I check that tabs on the switch - I'm pretty sure that
the problem isn't here, because the switch is only a couple of months old and
has started displaying the same signs as the old switch.  I will check, though.

Alan's suggestion, below, however, seems simple and effective.  Simply put a
normally-closed relay in place of the inhibitor switch, and connect the relay in
parallel to the reverse light so that it opens when the reverse light is on.
Need to make sure the relay can handle the high currents of the o/d circuit (can
someone remind me how much a J-type draws?) but that shouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone think of any negatives?  I know I mentioned in my previous e-mail
that o/d isn't designed to be used in low gears, but how bad is it to have it
enabled in 1st and 2nd (even if I don't plan on using it, I will probably
occassionally forget to disengage it!) if I can wire up a relay to prevent it
from being used in reverse?

Thanks,

Dean