Question about the mysterious Z-S Carb

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Question about the mysterious Z-S Carb
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:55:21 EDT
On my 78 Spit with a single Z-S carb, there is an adjustment screw
with a tamper proof cap on the right side.  (At least it once HAD a
tamper proof cap.)  According to the manual, it is an idle control
screw.  In my quest for the perfect carb adjustment that will magically
unleash 250 hp 8-) or at least pass emissions, I was wondering about
the purpose of this screw.  Is it an air bleed or a gas bleed?  Which
way do I turn it to lean or enrichen?  Does it provide effect over
a full range of engine speed or only at idle and near idle?

TIA!

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire