Re: Octane?

To: Mark Campbell <spitfire@shelby.net>
Subject: Re: Octane?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:35:38 -0500
Mark,
You need to measure the cylinders and combustion chambers and calculate
the compression ratio.  If you are using stock or flat top pistons and
haven't radically shaved the deck or head, you ought to be able to
operate on premium unleaded or perhaps even mid grade.

Mid grade works fine in Huxley.  He has flat top pistons and is at
something on the order of 9.5:1 ratio.

In your case, you may want to try premium and if you get no pinging,
back down to mid grade.  You want to use as low of octane fuel as will
run without detonation.

Regards,
Joe