Starting Solutions?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Starting Solutions?
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:53:33 -0700
Well, I'm out of ideas without doing more intense diagnosis than I care to
in the field (quite literally).  68 Spit with stock engine.  We have
confirmed that it is getting spark (replaced the original coil which was
very weak), each plug is firing, and fuel is getting to the carbs.

What it is not doing is starting.

With the choke in, gas pedal down, crank engine and nothing.  The moment
you release the gas, it pops and tries to run for a couple of seconds.  Any
attempt to push the gas pedal will kill it.  The longest we got it to run
was about 8-10 seconds at 1,000 RPM and then it died like it was out of fuel.

Tried with the choke out and got nothing at all.

Took the air cleaners off and didn't have any effect.  I'm not positive the
carbs are actually getting the fuel to the cylinders, but I can smell gas
at the tail pipe so something is getting there.  The plugs are not exactly
wet with fuel though either.

Distributor is fixed in place and does not show evidence of shifting
position.

Ideas?  Suggestions?  I was thinking of shooting starting fluid into the
open throats of the carbs next.  It feels like a carb issue, but I'm not
sure.  The car was running and moving under its own power two months ago
when it was parked.

************************
*                                                        *
*       Handspring Visor Deluxe         *
*                      Mobile Mail                     *
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |