Re: Radio mounting

To: eyates@enteract.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radio mounting
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:20:42 +0100

Eric,

I have a CD player mounted in front of the gear stick, and I can just get CDs in
and out in neutral, no problem in 2nd/4th.  I was a little concerned about this
when I bought the unit, but turned out to be no problem.  This is in a 1500,
with single-rail gearbox, btw.  This is important, because the gearstick for
earlier gearboxes is bent, allowing more clearance for CDs, but my gearstick is
straight and still has plenty of room.

As for speakers, I mounted them in the rear of the car, either side of the fuel
tank.  These are pretty average speakers with a pretty average stereo, no amp,
and they are fine with the top up - at 70mph, I can hear the stereo clearly on
maybe a little over 1/2 volume.

The problem is with the hood down - especially if you have a hood bag or tonneau
cover over the top of the hood.  In this case, the hood and cover are actually
covering the speakers, and I can only just hear the stereo at 70mph at full
volume.

If you're going for this approach, I'd recommend, with hindsight, fitting the
speakers as low as possible, so that the hood doesn't cover them.

Dean