My plan -- advice welcome

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: My plan -- advice welcome
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:34:46 -0700
First, a very special thanks to all who sent me their thought and opinions
with respect to what I should do with the new tub and chassis I've acquired.
The field was pretty evenly split between "sell it"! and "use it"!

Here's my plan -- I'd like to know if anyone else thinks its' sound or makes
sense.  Please keep in mind that I want to own a Spitfire Mk3 for as long as
I can drive one and would love to have a near-show restoration of the marque
that I don't have to worry about rust creeping in on three years after I
paint it.  I'm not looking to restore the car as an investment. It's a
long-term passion for me.

The new chassis is simply too good to part with.  Everything on it is either
new or rebuilt as far as I can tell.  Even the brake adjusters are new.  The
front wheels felt a bit wobbly -- I can't tell if it's from loose bearings
or loose lug nuts, but I'd be surprised if it's the former because this
appears to be a resto that someone was trying to do RIGHT.

Another reason for keeping the rolling chassis to use is that the condition
of my current chassis is a bit "iffy".  I need to peel off some of the heavy
undercoating to see if there are any rust-damaged spots.  Additionally, all
the brake lines, fuel line, etc., are covered in a heavy coat of undercoat
gunk and their condition is unknown.

I'd like to start by sanding off any surface rust I can find on the new tub,
then apply a good epoxy primer to the whole thing.  Inner fenders and
rockers would be checked and probably treated with POR 15 or something
similar, just to be on the safe side.

I've decided that I simply enjoy owning a RHD car too much to leave the tub
LHD and would have the body shop weld in new bulkheads and rear shelf to
accomodate the pedals and steering column.  I noticed that Rimmer Bros.
sells a "repair panel" piece for the brake and clutch M/C reservoir mounts
that would probably fit nicely over the current battery box opening.  A new
battery box could then be dropped into a new cutout made on the Left side of
the top bulkhead where the pedals and reservoirs are currently.  The wiper
stays where it is, as does the fuse block.  The only other "handed" thing
I'd need to do for authenticity would be to close and fill the current
antennae mast opening and cut a new one on the opposite side of the scuttle
panel.

Since the body is already off the chassis, I could deliver the tub to the
body shop and let them take their time with it, while I enjoy the current
incarnation of Mrs. Jones and finish building the new chassis, which would
include selling the newly rebuilt transmission and installing a new J-type
O/D which I'm purchasing soon.

Then, once the body is finished and painted in several months, I would begin
the restoration of the "new" Mrs. Jones and either do a complete
restoration, leaving the current Mrs. J intact, or use her as the donor car.
I know this must sound awfully callous, but considering that I need (should
read would LIKE) to replace so many body panels on Mrs. J, I think it would
be a lot more economical for me to simply convert and finish the new tub,
rather than incure the labor and costs of having someone remove and weld in
new floors, outer sills, strengtheners, A pillar supports, rear wings,
bonnet, prep and paint etc.  With the current tub, my only expense besides
the aforementioned bulkhead mods would be the prep and paint and I'd have a
solid, original car that would last longer than I will.  An important
consideration is that this tub appears to be totally original with beautiful
seams and no evidence of prior accidents or repairs.

Does this makes sense?  I'm looking for a little reassurance here -- or
someone to tell me that swapping the bulkheads is going to cost more than I
want to spend...

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!