Re: Overdrive/Trans Reassembly

To: david_schenck@email.msn.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive/Trans Reassembly
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:54:33 EDT
Hi Dave,
There are two sets of splines way down there.  They both need to be lined up
or you'll have a gap of about 5/8 inch.  Try using a long screwdriver to work
the bottom set of splines to match with the top.  If I remember correctly,
it's easier to rotate them counterclockwise.  An ideal tool is a screwdriver
with a built-in light.  I found one at BIG LOTS a few months back($1.99).  I
haven't fashioned a long screwdriver bit for it yet.  You just have to have
patience and check after each trial with a flashlight to see if they are
lining up.  When they do, things will slip right together.
The best piece of advice I have received about transmissions is: When
rebuilding
never reuse the mainshaft circlip.  Always use a new one.
Good luck and have patience!
Bill Brockschmidt