Re: Buyers Guide

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buyers Guide
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:29:30 -0700
[...]
> When talking about the suspension, it is worth mentioning that most Spitfires
>  lean to the drivers side, and this in itself is not a reason to walk away
>from
>  a car (or you'll never find one to buy!).  If the lean is serious, make sure
>  the front springs aren't broken, although they are quite cheap to replace.
>  Plus, of course, the usual check of pressing down on the wing, and ensuring
>it
>  returns quickly but without bouncing, to check that the shock absorbers are
>  OK.

One thing I would add to this. If the car leans excessivly, look very
carefully for chassis damage/repair. Ask me how I know ;-(
In later (swing spring) cars, almost all body roll is controlled in the
front, so damage there can cause lean in both the front and rear.

Speaking of chassis damage, one I've seen on two different cars (not
related
to collisions) is cracking on the sides of the frame rails just behind
the front suspension towers, near where the back of the lower A arms
attach.

One thing I would add to the electrical section of the guide is that it
is quite common for the indicator, running and dash lights to stop
working,
especially in a car that has been sitting. This is often just a result
of corrosion on the contacts in the fuse box.

--
Reed Mideke                  rfm(at)cruzers.com
If that doesn't work:        rfm(at)portalofevil.com