GT6 vacuum advance

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 vacuum advance
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:06:21 -0400
Hi all,

I can hardly believe it, but as soon as the backordered silencers
arrive from Rimmer, I'll be able to get the car back on the road,
almost a year after the drivetrain fell apart!  Yay!  Of course,
there's no interior and the body's still a mess but d*mn, why
wait for THAT!?!

OK now to my question:  it's a Mk3 and has the vacuum valve on
the rad that was supposed to race the engine when it got too warm
at idle, by valving off the depression (vacuum).  Now, I'm not
sure how that really worked, but I *think* the car originally had
a vacuum *retard*-- but not sure.  I have only a general idea how
the plumbing went.  And, the kicker is that the PO installed a
distributor from an earlier model, which has a vacuum *advance*.
(Carbs are 150 CDSE's.)

The PO just ran the car with the vacuum tubing removed and
plugged.  I guess the mechanical advance was enough?  Anyhow, I'm
hoping someone will teach me how to think all this stuff through!

I'm not absolutely wedded to returning the car to bone stock,
partly because getting my lunch hooks on a correct distributor is
not going to be easy.  I just want it to run well.  I have a
Pertronix kit but haven't installed it yet because I want to
solve the vac. advance problem first, and just experiment with
one variable at a time.

So, what should I do?  BTDT, advice, dope slaps much
appreciated!  (well, not dope slaps....)

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Larceny, n.  A sturdy fiber
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      of which the human heart is