Re: Noisier after bump

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Noisier after bump
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:27:59 -0400
Nolan Penney wrote:

> http://www.locknstitch.com has one of the seemingly better types.  Distinctly
>different
> then the plugs of old.  I have never personally used either method.
>Truthfully, I don't
> even know if it can be done by a layperson.

  I think it can be, but I have not tried. I've never even seen
the process in person.

  Practical Classics did a long article on doing metal stitching
showing every step of the process, and nothing looked particularily
hard or intimidating. They seemed to be presenting it as a DYI
proposition, although they also mentioned that with almost all common
classic cars it makes more sense to buy another block/manifold/whatever.

  Most of the examples of metal stitching seemed to be happening
on 30s bentley engines and such.

  I had a Midget 1500 engine that had been repaired with
weld. The weld work was well done and lasted, but the block
was warped during the welding and wouldn't hold a head
gasket for long.

  ...had the owner at the time been able to stitch the
hole closed instead of welding, that block might still
be usable today.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca