UK Fuel blockade

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: UK Fuel blockade
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2000 03:29:11 -0500
Those on this list the far side of the ocean from Coventry, will probably be
 unaware of the dramatic events here in the UK this week, protesting over fuel
 tax.  Here in the UK, tax accounts for around 75% of the cost of petrol, which
 costs around $4.50/US gallon.  We have at last decided to do something serious
 about getting the message across to the government - lorry drivers and farmers
 (with help from fishermen and other groups this government has particularly
 shafted) have been blockading fuel refineries and depots, causing a
 nation-wide shortage of fuel.  By Wednesday most petrol stations in the
 country had run out of unleaded.  The blockade was finally lifted yesterday,
 but it will be some time before all petrol stations have fuel - very few do
 now, and they will only sell to emergency services, not the public.  This has
 seriously inconvenieced almost everyone across the country, but still the
 majority of the public support and back the blockade.

Anyway, now for the LBC-relevant stuff.  The last type of fuel to run out, (and
 some places never did run out) was LRP, the replacement for Leaded 4* petrol,
 which cannot be used in any cars with a catalyst (any under about 8 years
 old).  So, everyone who keeps an old Triumph or MG in their garage at home,
 has got it out, parked their modern car, and is cruising around with few fuel
 worries at all!  I don't think I have seen this many Triumphs on the road at
 any other point all summer!  As I was filling up on Wednesday evening, the
 queue at the station consisted of a Triumph Dolomite 1500, an MG BGT, and
 Daffy.  We all stood around having a good laugh about how we were coming out
 best from the situation, and were laughing particularly at the Rover 400
 driver in front of us, who had been forcing LRP into his car (despite the fact
 that the nozzle doesn't fit, to prevent you using the wrong fuel), and the 500
 quid bill he will face for a new catalyst at his next MOT.  Cruel, maybe, but
 we had to see the funny side of it!

Richard and Daffy (still motoring, while all around us run dry)