Re: Body Work Preparation - Rust and Bondo

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Subject: Re: Body Work Preparation - Rust and Bondo
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:47:13 -0700
Mike,
Do you have any rust through areas there?  Also, is the rusted area so thin
that you can feel the area give when you press on it?  If
either of these is the case, I'd recommend cutting it away and installing one
of the patch panels that are available.

My logic is that you can easily remove the rust from the outside of the panel
but you can't do anything about rust on the inside and
regardless of how well you prepare the outside, the metal will continue to
deteriorate from the inside and eventually you will get
bubbles in the nice work you did patching the area.

The patch panels are not particularly difficult to install and will return the
area to the same thickness that was when new.

For my money, I would rather fix it once right than skimp and then need to do
it over.

Good Luck,
Joe