Clutch Slippage

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Slippage
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:06:03 -0400 (EDT)

Went to go for a nice Fall ride in the Spit yesterday.  Only got about
10 miles out when the clutch all of a sudden started slipping really
bad.  Any heavy pressure on the pedal and it slipped real bad.

2 questions for the assembled wisdom here:
  1) Is the normal sign of a clutch needing replacement??  I assumed
     it meant either the clutch packing in or fluid suddenly leaking
     from the engine or trans and fouling the clutch disk.  There is
     no sign of fluid under the car after parking it overnight, so I
     am inclined to rule out the second option.

  2) Are there any particular brands of clutch I should avoid??  There
     seems to be a rather varied selection.  I haven't checked out Rimmer
     Bros. yet but they are running yet another "no shipping" promo.  And
     I haven't checked out the local car parts place.  So, which brand
     should I be looking for and which should I treat like the plague??

Thanks for any help.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |