re: Speaker location

To: "Spitfires-Digest" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>, <destaff@yahoo.com>
Subject: re: Speaker location
From: "Tim Doyle" <tdoyle3@berkshire.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:00:30 -0400
My old Spit has a couple of holes in the rear panel (in front of the gas
tank) where my brother decided to put his 4" round speakers and now I have
to replace the panel because a) The holes are ugly and b) the 4" speakers
really suck anyway.  Personally in a nice classic like a Spitfire I would
hesitate to cut holes in a part to install speakers when there are other
alternatives available.  I would look into purchasing (or making depending
on how handy you are) a pair of 6x9 boxes for your speakers.  They usually
cost about $10-$20 each and you can put them just about anywhere in the back
of a Spitfire.  If you wait a bit you will likely have one of those Super
Blowout Sales at a nearby Civic Center or something (you know the kind, they
advertise the heck out of them on TV for about a week beforehand and they
sound like a Monster Truck ad or something) and you can get them really
cheap.  If the back of your Spit is carpeted you can even get some velcro
and anchor them down.  You'll get pretty good sound out of them too.

Tim
'64 Spit MKI