Re: Spitfire Cams (Again!!)

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Cams (Again!!)
From: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 13:35:26 -0600
Joe, Over the years I have found many mistakes in the
after market parts catalogs, along with receiving the
wrong parts because of these errors to the point that I
verify any questionable items prior to ordering!!
I will now provide the gospel as it comes from the Triumph
"Bible".( The Triumph Spitfire4 Spare Parts Catalogue)
This is the fifth edition printed to include the MK2 parts.

Part#        Description                    Remarks
202931      Camshaft                Fitted up to engine
                                                  #FC38627E only
211433      Camshaft                 Fitted from Engine #
                                                     FC38628E up to FC50001E
                                                     Only.
212164      Camshaft                 Fitted from Engine #
                                                     FC50001E and future.

142647      Bearing, Camshaft  Fitted from Engine #
                    front and rear          FC61023E and
142648      Bearing, Camshaft   future.
                   intermediate             ""    "   "    "   "   "   "

That be the truth, the whole truth and all the bearings listed!!!  So, you
may believe the Bible or the parts
catalogues????  Bill McDevitt

> The 211433 uses no cam bearings
> The 212164 does use cam bearings and was used in engines up to the early
MkIV's

> I see no reference to 202931 in any of my parts books, but the Rimmer
price lists show the number and say to use 211433R.  I suspect
> that the cam was upgraded somewhere during Mk1 production (probably for
better performance) and the old one was no longer stocked.