Tips for Manifold R&R needed

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tips for Manifold R&R needed
From: Ron Deaver <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:34:59 -0800
Hiya all,

Anyonne have some sage advise for the R&R of the intake and exhaust
manifolds on a 1980 Spitfire 1500?  Specifically, I noted when inspecting
the manifolds to see what it will take to pull them (I have a manifold
gasket leak and possible cracked exhaust manifold), each end of the
manifold has a single stud at the end.

The wonderful thing is that these two studs have no clearance for a socket
to remove the nuts, and the one on the front of the engine appears to not
allow room for even a crowfoot wrench without removing the water pump.

What tools would work for freeing these nuts without pulling the water
pump?  Anyone know of a working solution?