Re: Timing chain cover Q and camshaft

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Timing chain cover Q and camshaft
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:48:58 -0500
My understanding is it has to do with noise reduction.  However, I don't see
the blob on earlier engines, and I don't see it on MG 1500's except rarely.

>>> Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com> 03/01 10:52 PM >>>

Spit listers,
  Every timing chain cover I've seen has this
plaster-like (more like concrete) substance caked onto
the surface of it. Either within the recesses of the
quartered sections or globbed on like a large pancake.
  What is this stuff? I can't believe that much dirt
just accumulates right on that spot. Can I just remove
it, or does it serve some purpose as an insulator?