Recent remarks on bulletins.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Recent remarks on bulletins.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:26:15 -0700
First, after some writing back and forth about my first comments about
what I perceived to be someone out to make a buck on the bulletin CD, it
turned out to be a different case. The individual writing me wanted the
CD quickly because he had offered a copy of his own, but couldn't find
it, and wanted to avoid some confusion or embarrassment, I suppose.

Not a big problem, but, I suspect that, eventually, such stuff will
begin to show up on eBay and elsewhere. It's only necessary to remind
everyone that the available bulletins are currently free for the
download, for as long as we have a site on which to put them. There's no
need to buy them.

Second, thanks to all who offered copies of their own holdings of
bulletins. There have been many.

Last, today someone pointed me to a new set of bulletins on eBay. I had
a look, and what I saw gave me some concern, from a purely technical
point of view. All the bulletins transcribed to date use engineering
sketches or line art for any required illustrations. The sample page
shown on eBay has a photograph on it. (!) Those of you who have done any
publishing know the problems using photographs can create, especially
with regard to photocopying.

I can reproduce photographs in future electronic bulletins, but for good
quality, I would need either the original or have the photocopy done on
a scanning copier with a photo setting. For those people with scanners,
a scan of the bulletin photograph is good, but would have to be scanned
using a magazine/newspaper descreening filter option (otherwise, there
will be moire patterns in the scanned image). This is simply because all
photographs printed by offset at the time the bulletins were issued used
some type of half-tone process.

Scans at 300 dpi are fine, since that is the practical limit for most
home printers driven by Acrobat Reader's print function. If anyone can
do scans, and wants more detailed information on scanner settings for
good photo reproduction, contact me with info on equipment/software
being used, and I'll try to make suggestions.

Thanks again for all the comments and offers of copies for inclusion in
the current set. As I get in more bulletins and get them converted, they
will be uploaded directly to Dan Buettner's site. Dan has included a
notice in the listings when a file has been updated, so check in once in
a while for new material.

Cheers, all. And I will go back to putting a rebuilt driveshaft into the
GT6, which will hopefully solve the big vibration problem of late. (!)

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.