Re: No Power On Hills (NO LBC - GMC Truck)

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>,
Subject: Re: No Power On Hills (NO LBC - GMC Truck)
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:03:07 +0000
Fuel delivery and/or vaccuum leaks.  I'd immediately suspect fuel delivery.
 Compression wouldn't give you the bucking reaction- it would just slow
down not care what you did since there wasn't any more power available.

You didn't mention the year of the truck, but it does have a carburator so
it's at least a 1986 or older (87 and newer went with TBI).  GM has a
sintered bronze filter (sometimes a paper element) located in the carb
where the fuel line attaches.  You need to remove the fuel line and then
the much larger nut assembly that holds in the filter element.  These are
well known for clogging since they can be a real beast to get the line off
if the nut has rounded over or is seized.  Many people don't change them
for years because of that reason.

GM uses two filters on their cars for the 70's and 80's.  One is the filter
mentioned above, and then there is the fuel 'sock' located in the fuel tank
itself.  You would pull the sending unit and fuel pickup and you'll find a
nylon mesh sock over the pickup tube.  This also gets clogged with debris
and a lovely organic scum (yes, bacteria live quite happily in gasoline).
But it takes a very long time to do so.

There is the chance that someone put another filter inline someplace as
well that may need to be replaced.

Lastly, replace the fuel pump.  Mechanical pumps on the V-8's typically
sell for $20.  In cases like these, it is worth replacing the pump and
cleaning out / replacing all associated filters just as a peace of mind.
If you replace it now, you don't have to worry about it later.

You could have other minor issues such as a sunk float in the carb, a stuck
needle valve assembly, etc, but those are much less likely.  Fuel pumps do
get weaker over time and filters will do a great job of keeping the gas
flow restricted if they aren't clean as well.

-Vegaman Dan
-66/68 Spitui!
-69 Chev PU, 94 Chev AWD Astro
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |