Re: Saskia fails her MOT!

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Saskia fails her MOT!
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:56:55 -0400
If you put a bit too much oil in the carb dashpots, the excess will
leak between the inner and outer cylinders that surround the damper
piston, and make its way onto the carb throat and into the engine
No real harm done, unless your plugs are already almost completely
fouled up.  If you put way too much in, it will get squirted out the
little vent hole in the top of the filler cap, and drip all over
the outside of the carbs.

This is for SUs.  Strombergs have a different way for the oil to leak out-
unfortunately they will keep leaking until the oil is all gone!

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

At 01:11 PM 4/15/01 , Scott A. Roberts wrote:

>  I also got a colortune kit, so I am going to tune the
> > carbs tomorrow, btw is it engine oil that the dashpots should be filled
> > with and should they be filled up to where the neck of the body begins?
>
>With SU HS2's, you fill a little at a time, and test the depth by putting
>the damper rod in. You should meet resistance when the cap is roughly 1/4"
>above its thread in point. Also, the manual refers to several different
>weights of oil, but ATF has been suggested as being best. Just remember not
>to overfill the oil in the carbs! Over damping will not help at all.

///