Subject: chassis rot

To: Spitfires Digest <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>, rfm@cruzers.com
Subject: Subject: chassis rot
From: Larry T <llst@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:41:33 -0700
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>

The outriggers are welded on to form a sort of pocket
where the overlap the frame rails:
(asci art follows, you will need a fixed pitch font)

                     |                | <------- chassis rail
               ___|-----|        |
                              |        |
outrigger                 |        |
             \                 | <------pocket
               \               |        |
                  \--------|        |
                     |                  |
                     |  < cut along this edge on top

The rust seems to have started in there. It got all the way through the
outriggers in a couple of places, and through the frame in at least one.

I had a similar problem with my Mk2 frame. I ended up finding a damaged
frame and cutting an 8 inch section of the frame out which included the
outrigger to use as a patch . I then cut off the bottom and side of the
outrigger from the the rotted frame to leave what looked like a wing
attached to the rotted frame. The patch part was then cut along the
upper outside edge of  frame across the part that forms the pocket as
well as the opposite lower corner leaving me with an L shaped section of
frame and an outrigger. I had this patch welded to the underside of the
frame and along the outrigger. I left the wing part of the outrigger
attached to the rotted frame so that I could use it as a template to
weld the new one to. It worked quite well as I had no problem when I
bolted the tub back in place.
 I also found a dime size area of rot on the patch after I had the frame
sandblasted. It appears that water is able to get between the pocket
and the frame. I decided to just seal the area (upper and lower) with
wax oil.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC

///