drafty interior fix (GT6)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: drafty interior fix (GT6)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 08:15:20 -0700
I've created a nifty fix for a (lack of) sealing problem and I thought I
would pass it along for others in case anyone has a similar situation -
For as long as I've had my GT6 I have *suffered* non sealing doors along
the leading edges (where the door meets the tub) for whatever reason, be it
the seals aren't quite large enough to reach, or the door panels are just a
tad short, whatever.  Since I'm having the Spitfire repainted, I've been
driving the GT6 everyday, and it's been warm!  In my case there was about a
3.18mm (1/8 inch for us metrically challenged) gap at its widest, between
the leading edge of the door panel, and the bulb on the *proper* fuzzy door
seal.  The doors are perfectly aligned, original, and the car has never
been in a serious accident, so I'm no at all sure just why this is so but I
have heard others complain of GT6's in particular being intolerably hot
inside, especially on long trips.  While it's enclosed configuration only
exasperated this condition it isn't necessarily the only cause of a hot
interior and the heat from the engine compartment was significant in
creating a hot environment.  I this case the engine compartment heat was
funneled through this opening and into the passenger compartment.  It may
not be as noticeable in an open vehicle like the Spitfire (although my
Spitfire doesn't suffer from this malady).  At any rate, it may be a good
place to look if all other sources of cockpit heat have been eliminated as
it isn't quite as obvious as the tranny tunnel
I have however, found a painless way to seal this off while not
compromising the integrity of the vehicle.  In other words, absolutely NO
modifications to existing structures!!  There is a seal  normally applied
to the windscreen pillars, that seals the outer portion of the side roll up
window to the elements.  It has a cross section rather like a "P".  This
piece is shortened slightly for this application and trimmed to allow a
bend and clear the door panel retaining clips (hard to describe, but it
should be apparent when one places it on the door where it will eventually
go).  The modified seal is sandwiched between the door panel and the door.
In my case I didn't even have to glue this piece in place the door panel
holds it in, and it provides just enough additional sealing to close the
gap.  In addition, it is almost unnoticeable when the door is open, and
invisible when it's closed!  Works like a charm and without the additional
engine compartment heat, it is MUCH cooler, actually enjoyable on those
warm days!

///