Re: Spitfire: To buy or not to buy...

To: "David Page" <dcpage@javanet.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire: To buy or not to buy...
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:05:58 -0700
At 11:14 AM 5/14/01 -0700, David Page wrote:

>Hi-
>
>This is my first post to this list, and I know very little about
>Triumphs, so I hope you'll all be patient with me. I'm considering
>the purchase of a 75 Spitfire. Seems to be in great shape, current
>owner has had it for 15 years, no rust, runs well, has many new
>parts, etc. He's asking $3200 for it, but he might take less.
>

>I understand Triumphs are not famous for being ultra-reliable,
>but I would plan on driving it several days a week (in the warm
>months), mostly short distances. I'm fairly handy with a wrench
>(have to be with two Land Cruisers), so I don't mind working
>on it.
>
>Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this car? Thanks for any
>advice.
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
>Portland, Maine

Welcome to the world of LBC's!  Land Cruisers have their own set of demons
so you'll feel right at home working on Spitfires.

I strongly recommend taking a friend knowledgable about Triumphs or Spits
to look over the car as well.  Anyone who has had one for a while will know
where to look for rust and problem areas.  I also recommend going out to
look at other Spitfires in the paper in your area to compare with so that
you can get a base line valuation.  Spitfire parts availability is
excellent, but the cost of those parts can add up so it's definately worth
spending the most on the best car available.

-Vegaman Dan
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |

///