Re: Noise Diagnostics

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noise Diagnostics
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:24:29 +0100
In article <"02AD83B00152507E*/c=us/admd=  /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g
=Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes

>Mike,
>
>May not be as severe as the rear trunnion bearings - I would first check your
> UJs.  However, dodgy UJs are usually most signified by a clunk as you hit the
> accelerator, or lift off for engine braking.  Still, worth checking:

I had my local mechanic check these for me - he rang me at 11.05 last
night, having just completed his inspection!   The good news is that
there is no sign of any free play in any of the UJs - the bad news is
that he can't find anything else that could be causing the noise.   His
advice is to keep running Carly as she is, and see if the problem makes
itself more obvious.

>DO NOT DELAY ON UJ REPLACEMENT - it is very very scary if they fail completely
> while you are doing 70mph - I should know, I've now done it twice!  Having
> said that, I hope your 200-mile trip today was completed without incident...

Not exactly.   I chickened out after reading the advice I got here, and
took the spare car (Saab 9000) up to London.   The battery charge light
came on about five miles from home, and I broke down on the M4. :-(
The alternator's had it. :-(((

>However, it may just be something rubbing against something else, and nothing
> to worry about.  May be worn out brake shoes grinding against the drums?  I'm
> not sure what else there is to rub around there, particularly since the spring
> has been replaced so the tyres should be well away from the wheel arches.

I'll keep you posted...

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///