Re: Dropping the Front End.

To: frandrum@voicenet.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dropping the Front End.
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:35:32 -0700
At 06:10 PM 5/15/01 US/Eastern, frandrum@voicenet.com wrote:

>Another issue, if I dismantle everything and decide to take the car to a
paint shop for
>the spraying, how do I transport it without the front wheels?  Without the
bonnet and
>engine the car seemed very light and easy to move about. Am I naive to
think that without
>all the front end suspension and wheels, two people could lift the front
end and roll the
>car wheelbarrow style onto a flatbed tow truck for transport?

One person can (barely) lift one end of the suspension/chassis without a
body tub in place.  Those tires and steel components weigh a ton.  If you
want to lift the front of the chassis with the tub in place with the
assistance of a helper, you'll need to be pretty darn strong.  The body tub
itself is several hundred pounds by itself.

There IS a way to cheat though.  If you want to wheel it around like a
wheelbarrow with the rear axle as the pivot point, you can use the physics
of leverage to aid your work.  Fill up the boot/trunk with some extra
weight- say several hundred pounds of bricks or sand bags(even better).  Do
that and you'll find the front end much 'lighter'. :)

-Vegaman Dan
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |

///